Google just bet on photo sharing by acquiring Picassa. Blogger integrated their Hello service at the time they did their re-design, so they have been working together for a couple of months now. The acquisition makes sense to me:
- Photos are inherently social, people use them to tell stories and share experiences
- Photoblogs and Moblogs are the fastest growing segments of consumer blogging right now
- Camera phones will outpace the sales of cameras and phones combined within five years
- Partnering with a printing provider like ofoto provides a direct and immeadiate revenue stream
- Picassa gives them a client to ease upload and provide organization
- It gives Google a new area of expertise and technology beyond Images
UPDATE: John Battelle: So now let me state the obvious: Google will compete in the photo management/storage/search/untangle-the-shoebox market. And by extension, let me state the not so obvious: I think travel is next.